Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Up Close - 1940s Snowball Sparrows Vintage Crib Quilt

This was a custom order for a special new arrival for one of my customers.
I hand quilted this little gem that I found for them a few years back on a trip in the USA. I really enjoyed doing this one. I did little circles to accent the design of the block.



I love the corn flower blue and the little snippets of feed sacks in this quilt top. I backed it with white and finally sourced a matching 1940s blue cotton solid to bind it with.
Sometimes this design is called Snowball, but with the cross in the middle it is sometimes referred to as Sparrow. I so need a copy of Barbara Brackman's guide. If anyone has that on their shelf can they check this block and confirm what it is....
It measures 850mm x 1150mm.


This is the block diagram if you want to have a go at it. Its a good one for hand piecing especially if you have lots of precious scraps you don't want to part with. Finished block approx 110mm x 110mm or approx 4.5 inches. This is a small one, but that's what make it so charming.





No comments:

Post a Comment